Monday, October 11, 2010

Nixed Renting Audiobooks. Using Library Instead.

  • Nixed the idea of renting audiobooks for now. Learned to determine which audio books are available on CD through the online Broward County Library website. Saves money.
  • I've decided to use the 100 Best Business Books list as a guideline for my IDP. I have indexed and highlighted the book to learned how it was organized. I began reading the summaries from back to front. There are 12 categories of books. Separate entry on that.
  • Based on the summaries, I made decisions on which books I was interested or uninterested in. This saves me money because I found that I was buying, even if it was at a used book store, books that I have no intention of reading within the next year. While I'm sure there is much wisdom in Katherine Graham's Personal History, I'm just not up for it.
  • There was a pattern in the books I found myself interested in. I realized that I could simply mark almost entire categories as "uninterested."
  • I assigned an InterestLevel to the books I currently own that I tagged as "interested." Strangely, my scale doesn't really adhere to Likert. 0=uninterested, 1=urgent and important 2=not urgent and important 3=not urgent and not important.

What I've learned from this process: We want. We need. We end up with whichever the Universe's decides; the Universe usually decides on a curveball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers